To ensure you will have safe and precise route guidance without getting lost in wrong turns or ending up facing dead ends. You need to have updated your Garmin Nuvi maps beforehand.
Before you plan to go out for any tours, it’s imperative to get the latest maps installed on your Garmin Nuvi GPS, considering the fact that your journey will be dependent on GPS navigation.
Here in this article, you will learn two prominent yet easy methods to get Garmin Nuvi Update via your windows or Mac system.
These methods are:
- Garmin Nuvi Update with Garmin Express
- Garmin Nuvi Update with maps from unofficial sources
How to Install Garmin Nuvi Update with Garmin Express?
Having purchased Garmin GPS updates or lifetime Garmin membership makes it easy for you to get map updates via Garmin Express program.
The official method to get a Garmin Nuvi Update maps for your Garmin device; it’s a program developed and launched by Garmin itself to help their users.
Garmin Express is FREE to use.
Follow below mentioned steps to update a Garmin Nuvi maps
- Open your browser and go to official Garmin Express website https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/
- Download Garmin Express Setup File for Windows or Mac.
- Now, Install the Garmin Express by following the instructions.
Note: Don’t get deceived by message for unsafe page, some browser marks the Garmin download page as unsafe/dangerous location, which is not valid. The Garmin Express installation file is very much safe and does not contain any virus at all.
Connect Garmin Nuvi with computer
Now connect your Garmin Nuvi device with your system via USB cable. Attach one end of the cable to the Nuvi device and other to the USB port of your system.
Start using Garmin Express app
- Double-click the Garmin Express app icon to open it.
- Click on the “Get Started” button located at the top side of the Garmin Express main window.
Add Nuvi to Garmin Express
- Now you have first to add your device to the Garmin Express software so that you can update map in Garmin Nuvi device or firmware or manage every other setting you want to change.
- Click on “Add a Device” showing as large “＋” icon placed in the upper-left side of the main window.
- Follow on-screen instructions to start the Garmin Nuvi setup process.
- Once the Garmin Nuvi setup with Garmin Express is completed then you should go to the dashboard to check the options. Its a House shaped icon placed in the upper-left corner.
- Start Garmin Nuvi Map Update Process
- Now locate and click on the “Install All” button, this will initiate the downloading all updates available for your Nuvi including the maps and the firmware updates. Your Garmin Nuvi will commence updating.
Disconnect Nuvi from system
This is the final step, and you can disconnect the Garmin Nuvi from your system once all the updates are installed. But mind it, it may take hours to complete the Installation process of Garmin Nuvi Update, so be patient.
Once the Nuvi gets all updates downloaded and installed, it will show a success message on the screen.
It is suggested to wait a little more once you see this message to get every new information installed adequately onto your device and do not instantly detach the duo.
Keep this Garmin Express installed onto your system, whenever next you wish to update Garmin Nuvi, connect the device and download all map updates on Garmin Nuvi through this Garmin express. Moreover, next time you need not add the device again as the Express program will automatically recognize it.
Following these steps will get you all official Garmin Nuvi map updates. However, if you face any trouble accessing the map updates in between this process, then you can approach our Garmin GPS update support service @ +1-855-869-6938 to get immediate assistance from experts for updating your Nuvi device.
How to Update a Garmin Nuvi from unofficial sources?
In case you are not comfortable with Garmin Express program or it doesn’t work on your system due to any technical issue; you can opt to update Garmin Nuvi from unofficial sources such as OpenStreetMap.
The OpenStreetMap project is an open community-driven platform that collects updated information and maps for places all over the world.
They offer all map updates and downloads that means anyone can access the map updates and download on their GPS devices easily. The option is also open to Garmin users; you can download and install any maps you need on your Garmin Nuvi.
Before choosing to add a map update for your GPS device ensure the format of maps from OpenStreetMap is compatible with your Garmin Nuvi. Do the following you get a map update on Garmin Nuvi from OpenStreetMap.
- Open your browser got to https://www.openstreetmap.org/
- Explore the map you want an update for.
Download Updated Map to Update a Garmin Nuvi for Free
- Download it to your PC; the file will be downloaded (most probably) with the name example.img that you need to rename to gmapsupp.img
- Connect your Garmin Nuvi to the computer.
- Open Garmin Nuvi folder on the computer.
- Transfer the downloaded gmapsupp.img into the Nuvi Map folder by either dragging or cut paste method.
- Wait until the entire files get transferred/copied to maps folder.
- Disconnect your Nuvi device from the computer once the map is transferred.
The Nuvi device needs to be restarted to pick up the new updated maps data, manually reboot it if it doesn’t get automatically.
Removing old map
Once your Nuvi is rebooted, next you have to set your new map and disable old map from your device to avoid any overlapping of data and instructions while you use it for your travel. Do the following
- Open the “Tools” menu on your device.
- Select the “Settings” option.
- Now, Select Map.
- Select Map Info.
- Deselect old map
- Select the new map
Now, your Garmin Nuvi update is installed, and it will pick the updated maps data.